Thursday, December 10, 2009

Why study community leadership?

Three months ago, I didn't know anything about community leadership. When I saw that UNH Manchester was offering a class on it, I thought it sounded interesting. I was afraid I was a little out of my league because of my lack of background in this area, but this was something I had always wanted to try. I had just made the decision to apply to Master's programs in social work, and felt I really needed some experience under my belt.

When the ball got rolling for our warm clothing drive, I figured that we'd maybe collect a thousand clothing items. The economy is in horrible shape and no one can spare extra clothes or go out to buy some for strangers. We had all read the horrifying stories on Working It Out and contributed some of our own. I thought that we would meet the needs of the three organizations we had chosen, if we were lucky, and that would be that.

I did not expect such an overwhelming response from the community. Saying that we have collected over 5,400 items of clothing in a matter of a few weeks just blows my mind. Dozens upon dozens of total strangers donated brand new clothing to total strangers. The PASS students and City Year spent many hours carefully counting, sorting, and delivering the clothes. Everyone in class and all the volunteers put in a lot of work and effort into making this happen.

It was surreal that it reached the point where we were struggling to think of another organization to give to because we had given more than enough to half a dozen already. I can't tell you how fulfilling this experience has been, to know that thousands of people across New Hampshire will be warm this winter because of our drive. I think of one of the lessons that was taught in our textbook, that every volunteer should know what they are getting out of their work. I think I can speak for many of us when I say that what we get is the satisfaction of knowing we have taken care of our neighbors, friends, peers, and fellow human beings.

The connections we have made with various people through Warmth from the Millyard has been wonderful. Paula has encountered amazing people on Craigslist of all places; she pleaded for help on there and ended up receiving donations from very kind and selfless individuals. Delivering the clothes is highly rewarding. One woman from the Way Home thanked me and said, "You are helping a lot of people." She pulled out a bag of pants I had donated. They were the right size for a girl at the shelter who barely had any pants to wear. It just felt right that she had them.

Tonight at the celebration event, Kate said that there are no donors and receivers, because we all donate and receive. I can't agree with that more. I have no idea what will be going on in my life in ten years. I could fall on hard times and end up at a shelter. It can happen to anyone. We are all just getting by with what we have and are all vulnerable to misfortune. The people who received these donations may have once been donating themselves or will donate in the future. To me, it doesn't matter where they are, where they've been, or where they are going. All I care about is that right now they need warm clothes and I have a way to provide some assistance. I want us to share what we have because when we work together, a community has the power to lift everyone up. At the end of the day, we're all just humans. We are all the same. To serve others is a privilege, one that I think we should all partake in.

Kate asked us to reflect on the question: "How can something this small make a difference?" I think Warmth from the Millyard's progression over the years is the answer to that. It started out as an idea thought up by UNH Manchester students just a few years ago. It grew; more and more clothes were collected every year, more parternships were formed, more people became involved. This year, it shifted, and UNH Manchester started acting as a business partner, and we focused on acquiring clothes just from our community. Thousands of clothing items flooded in. The PSA on WZID brought in thousands of more clothes from people in the general area. Several other UNH Manchester classes became involved. We worked on forming a partnership with NH Public Radio. Just one idea spawned all of this success.

And now a new matching system is being introduced, whereby donors and receivers can team up online and clothes can be donated year-round. Through a partnership with the Department of Transportation, the Warmth from the Millyard will continue to expand.

This has all been possible because of the students in the Community Leadership program lead by Kate. She and her students have all mobilized their communities, friends, families, neighbors, and peers to support the Warmth from the Millyard and help it become the success that it is today. This is a perfect example of the power of community leadership. When you have the drive to lead your community for a cause, you can accomplish your goals, no matter what they are. If you persevere, you will surpass them. I think people should study community leadership because it is a compelling way to make a change and bring people together. If your community wants something and you organize yourselves to go after it, and you don't give up, there is no stopping you.

- Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment